Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Flight

This past saturday, my brother-in-law, Lyle and I were out running around some wildlife management areas taking pictures of some of the wildlife we saw. At Camas we saw about 10 bald eagles, white tail deer, jackrabbits and hawks. The sad part, we weren't able to get close enough to get decent pictures. I guess too many people had been out and the birds and animals were too spooked.


This picture of the rabbit was the first not to flee as we approached. Maybe because we were still in the car at the time.



I was hoping to find the two great gray owls I had heard were wintering there. No such luck.


From there we decided to go on south to Market Lake and see what would present itself to us. We saw the usual hawks and a surprising number of Trumpeter Swans. After some long range shots of a few of them we continued on up the road and ended up in a farmers stock yard. Due to the no trespassing sign we started to turn around and leave when I said, "Oh crap" at which point Lyle stopped, I jumped out and got only one shot of these four beautiful birds flying over. We both agreed it was the shot of the day


We then left Market Lake and drove to Menan on our way back to his home in Rexburg. While driving through Menan, we saw this bald eagle land in a tree just above a house.


I managed to walk around the house somewhat and get some decent shots. If you notice, the head feathers are not totally white and his beak is not totally yellow. This is an indication of a young eagle almost grown out of the immature stage where the head is white and the beak yellow.


All-in-all it was a fun day.

3 comments:

Colette said...

Those are some amazing shots dad!! Good job- to you and Lyle!!

Share :) said...

Wow, those are really great shots! I love the 4 birds shot especially. What kind of lens were you using for that one?

Steve said...

I was using a 80-400mm zoom lens the whole day. When I first spotted the trumpeter swans they looked like they were flying right into the windshield of the pickup. When I got out of the pickup for the shot, they were so close I could barely frame them at the 80mm setting of the lens.