Friday, September 19, 2008

OOOOH! What a Night. Day 2














Is it morning already? Did I actually get any sleep? All night long, every time I moved I could hear this annoying squeak in my ear. Guess I should have tried out the new inflatable backpacking pillow long before using it while camping. Oh, wait, I couldn't, I bought it the night before. Oh well, suns coming up and I'm hungry. Maple and brown sugar oat meal, yum. Devin's propane stove ran out of fuel early, so it was a good thing I brought my Swiss self generating stove and a bottle of white gas for it.
With breakfast over, Devin and Bryce took off to go fishing down along the south shore, Ryan, Gordon and I went up along the north shore. On the way out I was watching a moose with its head under water having breakfast also. I managed to get a picture of it as it was raising its head out of the water with water flying everywhere.


We hiked east on the trail until we found a nice spot down through the trees, on the shore, in a little cove. Gordon and I fished while all three of us visited. Gordon caught two fish, I didn't catch anything except some very nice pictures of the lake with the mountains reflected on the water.


One of the fish Gordon caught was injured too bad to return to the water so I suggested he have it for lunch.


While we were sitting there, we watched the moose walk along the shore heading east, while Bryce and Devin were heading west. Made us curious as to who would spook first.
After the fishing went south, we went back to camp to fix lunch. As I said, Gordon had trout for lunch. Lets see, no cooking oil or butter to fry it in and no salt or pepper for flavoring. He seemed to enjoy the boiled trout anyway. During lunch the discussion was: "what do we do next". The three amigos, Gordon, Bryce and Devin, thought it was a great idea to go swimming. I opted out since I didn't have a swimming suit and Ryan didn't either so we just watched and took pictures. Devin was the first to brave the cold mountain lake water and after diving in, stood waist deep just of shore shivering. Bryce and Gordon soon followed. Devin got on an old drift log and Bryce, with Gordon's help, launched him toward the island. Needless to say, he didn't get very far and ended up swimming to the island, taking the log with him. Once on the island, he went over to the makeshift flag pole and flag that had been blown down the before and stood it up, securing it better than it had been previously. Gordon followed Devin to the island, swimming over with his own piece of driftwood. After an exploration of the island, they both swam back. After a little more splashing around in the water, we all went back to camp, some to get dressed again, and all to discuss what to do next. Being extremely tired from lack of sleep, I decided to stay around camp, the three amigos decided to go climb a mountain, Ryan stuck around to keep me company.
While trying to take a nap, a new visitor to the camp provided some entertainment. He moved around camp without fear, although cautious in he movements. At one point he came up and was doing something on the bottom of my boot, while I was stretched out on the ground. As the afternoon wore on and we had wandered around visiting and taking pictures, the weather started to get bad. Soon we were in a full fledged thunderstorm that included rain and hail. My biggest concern was for the other three. It isn't too good to be up at high altitudes in that type of weather. Not long after the storm blew over, the three amigos got back to camp just in time to have supper.
The evening discussion was on what to do the next day. Our last day. The three amigos decided to take a twelve mile loop that would take them into some interesting back country. I didn't feel I could go that far and then hike out with a full pack the next day. As the campfire died down, so did the conversation, and tired bodies made their way to tents and a restful nights sleep. After letting some of the air out of my pillow, that's just what I got.

8 comments:

Gordon said...

Wow, the reflection off the lake is AMAZING! Great photos! The only thing better is being there.
Thanks for sharing.
G

Share :) said...

I love the reflection photos as well...the water is so still, it's crazy how you can't tell which way is up in some parts. Thanks for posting day two. :)

Bryce Jr said...

That was a sweet day. Next to watching Devin paddle that log all the way to the island in that FRReezing water, my favorite part was watching Gordon fidget while Devin was out there and he wasn't. (I could see him thinking, "I have regretted not going to that island since I was a Boy Scout. I am not going to regret it again for the next 15 years.) Wasn't until Devin saddled back up on his log for the return journey that Gordon said, "Wait. I'm coming."

Gordon said...

Hahahaha! You are right on, Bryce. I HAD to go out there, and my window of opportunity was nearly shut. Bryce, you should blog about our hike up the mountain that day...

Colette said...

Ah the things that memories are made of!! I hope you do it again!! I know my boys really wanted to go!!
Love ya!

Colette said...

TAG!! YOU AND MOM ARE IT!! You have to post 6 quirks on this space for all of us to share a giggle with you. Check mine out on my blog.
Love ya!!!

Colette said...

6 EACH

Colette said...

You ever going to post again dad?