Monday, March 24, 2008

While the cats away---

As most of the family knows, Carlene is in New Mexico for spring break. Therefore this mouse is out to play as much as possible. Well, at least for as long as the small funds I have set aside will last. Lets see, that might just make it one more day if I don't go anywhere. I did play on Sunday in Camas National Wildlife Refuge. I have to say it was one of the most rewarding trips taken there. I arrived there around 3:30 pm and spent the next three hours searching the trees for my quarry. I was just about to give up and go home when I decided to go along the opposite side of a line of trees I had already searched. About a third of the way along the trees I spotted the object of my quest.








This owl, with the fierce look, was perched on a branch about 4.5 feet off the ground. Its fierce look was directed at me for disturbing its sleep, since it is a night hunter. As owls go, there are only 4 owls in north america smaller than this one. Let me introduce you to the Saw-whet owl. If you look at the branch above the back of its head, its approximate one inch diameter should give you an idea of its diminutive 8 inch size. The Elf owl at 6 inches is truly the smallest. One bird book calls it a friendly owl. I know it wasn't afraid of me being around. Some of the pictures I took were from about 3 feet away while he stared at me through half open eyes. I would have liked getting a picture with eyes completely open. I also goth the feeling it was thinking, "if I ignore him, maybe he will go away." But like some things it just didn't happen.
OH WELL! This mouse had a really enjoyable sunday afternoon. Just a little side note on size. The robin is a bird measuring 10 inches.

5 comments:

Share :) said...

Wow, that is a beautiful picture! The colors and textures are fabulous. I can't believe it's such a small, little thing. Try not to have too much fun without Mom. ;)

Share :) said...

Oh...and don't owls EAT mice? ;)

Colette said...

That's beautiful! I had no idea they were so small! Thanks for the Robin size, that really put it into perspective for me!!
I hope you and mom are happily reunited and enjoying each others company!

Bryce Jr said...

I was thinking along Share's same line -- Steve the mouse is lucky he didn't get ATE -- but then I wondered if an 8-inch owl could take a mouse. So I looked it up. And yup, they do eat mice. Good thing it was daytime and the owl was still sleepy.

Gordon said...

Is that owl only holding onto the branch with one foot?