Wednesday, November 3, 2010

The Future of America

We've all heard it said, "a picture is worth a thousand words". A picture or a scene can evoke a myriad of emotions. If you don't think so, just think about how you feel when you look out over a brightly colored fall landscape, or see Old Faithful for the first time.





Sometimes, emotions are more difficult to put into words than the visualization of a scene or picture. It is fairly easy to describe a scene or picture just by saying or writing what you see. But to describe the emotions of that scene or picture are different for every individual and therefore very personal. To some, tears might be shed, and others might just think, "oh, that's nice".





It seems, the older I get, my emotions play a much more important part in my day to day life than it used to. For example, on Monday I was driving down a road I had never been on. It was a back country road in an area I was covering for another inspector. Now, two things happened in fairly rapid succession. The first, a wolf ran across the road in front of me, much to my surprise. I knew it was a wolf because it was much to large to be a coyote. That brought me out of my gravel road boredom in a hurry. The second, came rather sudden also. In fact, I was glad I was the only one on the road at the time. I hit the brakes so quick, anyone following might have run into me. I pulled off into a field road, got out of my vehicle and just stood there in the road staring. The scene is very ordinary, but the emotion it evoked brought tears to my eyes. I then remembered I had a camera with me. This is what I saw.

Like I said, very ordinary.

The flag and its condition is what brought all my feelings out. I felt I was looking at Americas future, if we didn't do something to change the direction this country is heading.

Here is what I felt when looking on this scene.

The flag holds a two fold representation. Torn and tattered, it represents the destruction of our constitution and freedoms. Wired to a branch, which is then wired to the dilapidated wood structure, represents the few who valiantly try by any means to preserve our freedoms.

The old derelict farm machine represents our economic and industrial downfall.

The untilled earth and the weeds growing all around represent the unwillingness of the people to work, and leach off those who do.

Maybe you won't see what I saw. That's OK.

What emotions does it bring to you?

2 comments:

Colette said...

Wow dad!! You are amazing!!!! That is beautiful, the photo, as well as everything you said!!
My kids all think you should post it on Facebook or a billboard, so the whole world can see it and hear what you have to say!!

Colette said...

Shaun says he'd like to see it framed!